Saturday, October 17, 2009

A New Book

I'm gonna start with a story. For the longest time, my brother has been complaining about how his iPod won't work. He says that he can't get it to turn on - the screen always stays black. We've asked him constantly if he's put his iPod into its dock so it can charge, but he always says no, and reminds us that he thinks it's charged. So, tonight, I decided to work on it. Turns out, it wasn't charged at all. I can't wait to tell him in the morning!

Alright, so other than that, I've been doing practically nothing. The only semi-interesting thing was reading The Lost Symbol (509 pages in 3 days). This was the first Dan Brown novel I've read, even though I've seen the movie versions of both The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons. And actually, I like his writing - fast-paced, short chapters that span a total of about 12 hours in the characters' lives, with lots of twists and turns. Overall, the book was good; the ending was the only part I didn't enjoy since it had too much explanation of what the "lost symbol" really was. And the fact that the spine of the book jacket gave away the ending location...but I liked the way the story was written - it gave me lots of information as well, especially about things like the history of the Capital Building. Did you know that there was once a statue of George Washington dressed as Zeus inside? Or that there is a labyrinth of tunnels underneath the building itself? And there's this thing called Noetic Science that scientists are studying. They think that the human mind can affect physical matter, as well as some other crazy things, like that humans have a soul, and it can be weighed. I don't know if any of this is true, but it's some pretty cool stuff to think about, if you ask me.

This whole week has been pretty boring, probably cuz of the rain and the overall gloominess. Nothing but a trip to Costco and 3 hours wasted trying to find a coat at the mall in a total of five days. But, life goes on...

No comments: