Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Finally Getting Around To Posting...

Okay, back again (finally). I've been so tired lately that I haven't been able to a) find the time and b) be in the right mood, at the same time. So, I think today might finally be the day.

Anyway, last week was...well, I don't think there is a word to describe last week. A blur might be the best description I can come up with. We ended up having the wake on Wednesday and Thursday, and the funeral on Friday...so that being said, here's my typical day during all of this: get up, take a shower, get ready, have breakfast, run errands with Mom, come home, have lunch, run more errands, come home, change clothes, go to the wake, come home, have dinner, visit with family, go to bed. And then repeat again the next day.

The funeral was beautiful...well, as beautiful as funerals can be, I guess. I'm not really a religious person, and I guess that's part of the reason, but every time the choir started singing, I started crying. It's sorta hilarious, now that I think back on it. But, it was a pretty service, and I'm sure my uncle would have loved it. We had a nice meal/reception afterward over at one of the fellowship halls at another church, and talked with a lot of people, and the guys ended up playing basketball, which was cool to watch.

Saturday was really the first day where everyone sort of slept in and just relaxed for the morning. My mom and two of her sisters went to see The Help, and Dad, Quinn, and some of the cousins went to play putt-putt and get ice cream, and I ended up tagging along with AJ and Matt (my cousins) and their friend, Brandon, and we walked around the mall, and then got ice cream, and played putt-putt, and then guys bought a bucket of balls for the driving range, and I think it was a nice distraction from everything. Plus, my grandparents' house doesn't have air conditioning (with the exception of a few of the bedrooms and a portable AC unit in the sunroom), so we all wanted to get out of the house and find someplace air-conditioned to spend the day.

And then, we all met at my grandparents' house, had dinner, and then went over to my aunt & uncle's place for cake to celebrate Matt's (he's the one in basic training in the Marines) birthday, which was on Wednesday, and then some of the uncles and all of us kids went to Dave & Buster's. My Uncle Jim works at the one in Rhode Island, so he got us power cards and refill coupons and we all had a ton of fun running around and playing the games. Matt won a thousand tickets on one spin on this giant wheel thing, and AJ won 500 tickets on the same game.

The first game I went over to was Cyclone, since I had had a lot of luck with it last time...and I won on the first try! And then ended up winning it another four times that night. I ended up just giving my tickets to AJ and Matt, and I think they put them towards a double iPod dock, which ended up being over 20,000 points. And then, we all piled back in the cars and drove back to my aunt & uncle's, and then back to my grandparents' house, and by the time we got to bed, it was close to one in the morning.

Um, other things that happened that week... My aunt got stuck in major traffic trying to get to Buffalo, because part of the NY State Thruway was closed, and she ended up peeing in a cup because there weren't any bathrooms within walking distance of her car. That same aunt brought her two-year old with her, my cousin, Ava, who I haven't seen in person since she was a month old. She's so adorable, and she speaks really well for a two-year-old.

We had a surplus of food that whole week. People were bringing over pizza, chicken wings, meatloaf, baked ziti, big trays of subs or sandwiches...we had a bazillion desserts, too. And we had three Edible Arrangements delivered over the course of about three days. Everything was really good...but I don't think we could have fit anything more in the refrigerator than we had in there, there was so much.

I cannot wait until we H&M opens at Hanes Mall. There was a Mercedes-Benz fashion show going on at the mall in Buffalo, and we stopped to watch. They were showcasing H&M clothes, and there were some really cute pieces that I absolutely loved. And we totally need an Urban Outfitters...or maybe not, because if we did, then I would be broke after about two trips to their store.

And then, on Sunday,, we bid our goodbyes and headed home. I ended up sleeping for about 3 hours, and then we stopped for lunch at Wendy's, and then I slept another 3 hours more. It rained quite a bit, and we stopped at Tamarack (this big arts/crafts/wine/gallery thing in West Virginia) just to walk around and stretch our legs.We got home around six, and ordered pizza for dinner, and just chilled for the evening.

Monday was good. Mom and I went grocery shopping, and then dropped off the rental car, and then we came home for a while. We went to the mall to make a payment on Mom's Macy's card, and we were going to go over to Bath & Body Works to look around, but there was some sort of alarm (probably fire alarm), and they were clearing people out of the building, and JC Penny's was closed off, and it was really weird. Probably just a false alarm, because there wasn't anything on the news about it.

And then, we went over to my mom's co-worker's house for dinner. Her husband had a meeting, so she invited us over to have dinner with her and her kids, which was nice. We had spaghetti and meatballs and garlic bread and salad, and apple cake for dessert. And we talked for a while, and watched the kids play Just Dance: Kids, and then headed home for the evening.

Tuesday was pretty normal. Got up, got ready, watched Stand-In, which was cute, and then chilled out for the afternoon. Mom came home, we fixed dinner, ate, and then I worked on putting the pictures up to the computer and then uploading them to Snapfish, and that took up most of the evening. Other than that, I let Ella out, and had a chocolate banana for dessert, and that was it for the night.

Nothing much on the agenda for the rest of the week. Wake Forest's first home football game is this Saturday, so that means my Catered Affairs work starts again. I'll be up on the sixth floor with Dad, Sharon, and probably one more person, servicing suites and the media and such, which should be cool.

No comments: