So, I'm going to try to make this post somewhat short, but since there's a lot to cover, it may end up being longer than I really want it to be.
I took the SAT on Saturday. Ugh, I hope I don't ever have to take it again. First of all, they said be there by 7:45am, which I take as get there anywhere between five to fifteen minutes early. Well, Sylvia and I got there at just after 7:30, and guess what? They wouldn't unlock the doors until 7:45 on the dot. So we stood out in the freezing cold for fifteen minutes, which made me majorly pissed because they should have said get there at 7:45 if they were just going to make us wait outside anyway. Okay, rant over.
So, we got inside, and went into our classrooms, and I think our group started at just after 8:15. We filled out our information on our answer sheets, and then started on the essay. I thought I had a pretty good topic, but I really struggled through it, and completely bungled the last sentence of my closing paragraph, because our proctor called "Please be finishing up your final sentence," and I freaked and completely blanked on what to write. Fortunately, I was able to stick in a (hopefully) decent and relevant outside-world reference, which I hope makes up for some of my less-than-perfect ideas. I really don't know how they can give us only 25 minutes. Haven't we been taught for all these years that we need to plan, write, edit, rewrite, etc. in order to create a decent essay?
Anyway, after that fiasco, we got into the rest of the sections, which went by pretty fast. I used the first snack break to sharpen my pencil, ate a breakfast bar during the second one, and then just sat in the classroom during the third. I know there were probably a few questions in each section that I had to make an educated guess at, but overall, I think I did okay. The only thing that bothered me was that you'd have a critical reading section, then a math one, then a writing/grammar one, then back to math, and my brain was having a hard time switching back and forth, but I managed.
And finally, it was over, and I headed outside, into the warm, spring-like air. Robyn and I talked for a few minutes while I waited for Sylvia, and there was a girl standing near us who asked what grade I was in because she said I was so tiny. And then, Sylvia came out, and we talked for a few minutes before getting into the car and heading to La Caretta for lunch. After we ate, I dropped her off, and then came home and took a nap and then got ready for work (Rebecca texted me just after I got out of the SAT, saying that they had some people call in sick, and asking if I could come in with my dad).
We clocked in at the tower, then took some food over to Bridger Field House, where we were going to be working for the evening, catering a Bat Mizvah. It actually turned out to be pretty fun. Normally, when we work at Bridger, there's either the standard, classical-sounding pieces playing over the stereo system, or, in the case of one luncheon we did, a live brass or string band. This time, there was an actual DJ, and I basically got to listen to "Stereo Hearts" and "Paradise" and "Brighter Than The Sun" and "I Gotta Feeling" and that sort of music all night long, which was amazing. They had a couple of dancers, and all the kids jumped around on the dance floor, and they did games, like "Thread the Needle" and "How Many Marshmellows Can You Stuff In Your Mouth?" and gave away raffle tickets and stuff.
They ordered a ton of food. They had the bar open, and three types of passing appetizers in the bar area, an appetizer table, a kid's drink table (plastic cups), an adult drink table (glass cups), a kid's buffet (salad, sliders, pasta), an adult buffet (I didn't see much of it, but I think there was chicken and beef, potatoes, veggies, salad, and rolls), and a beautiful cake, which, as Katie and I found out after eating some of the leftover pieces, was amazingly good. I had a teeny bit of the chocolate layer, which was awesome. It was really moist and rich, and what I think really made it taste awesome was the fact that it was chilled...I have no idea how it stayed cold, because it was out on the cake stand for hours. They finally finished around 11:30, and then we did our clean-up work, and ended up clocking out at around 12:30 in the morning.
On Sunday, I slept in until close to 11:00, and then Mom and I went to the grocery store, and then came home and tried out a new recipe for crab dip, which turned out amazing. We ate and watched One Day, which was pretty good. It was kinda sad at the end, though. Then, we came upstairs, ordered Frank's subs for dinner, and then went to pick it up. We came home, plated everything up, and then Mom and I went downstairs to watch Margin Call, which was really neat, actually. It had a a lot of actors we like - Jeremy Irons, Paul Bettany, Stanley Tucci, Simon Baker, Demi Moore, and Zachary Quinto, and was actually, considering it was about market volatility, and stocks, and computer models, pretty interesting. And then, I cleaned Ella's cage, and Mom and I watched Taken, again, because we both really love that movie, and FX had it running.
Today's been somewhat normal so far. Mom's working tonight, and then tomorrow, the three of us are going to go to Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse for my brithday dinner. Wednesday, I'm celebrating my brithday with Dad, and my grandmother and aunts and uncles, and then on Sunday, Mom, Quinn, and I will be having birthday dinner with my aunt and uncle. So, if there's anything good coming out of this separation, it's that I get three birthday celebrations...lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment