Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Accomplishment...

Oh my gosh. I just freaking entered a writing contest. Oh my gosh...why did I think that was a good idea?

So basically, I just wrote a 972-word short story in the span of about three hours. I'd never heard of Figment.com before today, and I happened upon a contest they were holding. In 1,000 words or less, write a poem, essay, script, short story, etc. about a teacher (could be real, made-up, an actual professional teacher, or just a figurative one, whatever you want) who makes an impact (good, bad, small, big - again, whatever you want). So, I made an account and started into a short story. I really didn't have any idea where I was going with it, or what I was trying to accomplish with it, but I managed to pull out a decent piece. Or, at least I think so. I'm not quite sure my 'teacher' is really that, in the real sense of the word, but more a 'mentor', but we'll see what happens. All in an attempt to win tickets to Seminar. Lol. What I won't do to see that show...

So, there's about 100 entries right now, and the contest closes tonight. Yes, I did just find out about it today. And yes, I did actually manage to enter it. I'm kinda proud of myself. I always start stories, but never finish them, and I don't think I've ever written a complete piece in less than a day. So, this is quite an accomplishment for me. :)

My writing bug is now officially back. I'm working on a few little stories right now. Nothing that I'm going to publish, but still, it's a start. I'm glad I'm finally back into the groove. It feels good to get some writing done. Which probably means more posts on the blog...yay! I know I've been kinda nonexistent lately, but hopefully, the next few posts will make up for it.

Ooh, in other news, I had three (count 'em, three) birthday celebrations this past week. Birthday dinner at Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse with Mom and Quinn, dinner with Dad's side of the family, and then dinner with Mom's side of the family. And I got lots of money, and a Barnes & Noble gift card, and a Nikon Coolpix digital camera, which is so amazingly awesome. Except I need a memory card for it, but whatever.

And I need to at least make a list of all the movies I've seen lately, because I probably won't get to all of them on any of my "This Week" posts, however long those last. One Day, Margin Call, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Woman in Black, and Galaxy Quest. And I just realized that now that I'm 17, I could technically go see R-rated films by myself now...I missed my chance to go see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in theaters, but at least now I can go see things as they come up, instead of having to wait for the DVD, because we rarely see R-rated movies in the theater.

Okay, that's all the news I can think of right now, but I'll be sure to post again soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alexis, I miss you so much. I can't wait to see you this summer! I'm super proud of you for writing that maliciousness essay. You are the best! (Maybe you might want to change your background color. It makes it super hard to read your posts.)