Okay, so new obsession time. Currently, it's two things - Downton Abbey (okay, so technically, I'm in withdrawal and will be until January when the new season starts) and Smash, NBC's show about the trials and tribulations of creating a Broadway musical. Now, I can't claim to be an expert on the show, nor can I claim to be a long-time fan, because I just recently started watching whole episodes. I'd been catching glimpses of it every once in a while, but I finally started really watching it a few weeks ago.
I'm not particularly fond of any character. Karen is too naive, Dev is too distant and brooding, Ellis is annoying, Ivy is really bitchy, and Uma Thurman's character, Rebecca Duvall is just manipulative and one crazy lady. Although, I have a soft spot for Derek, played by Jack Davenport, I think either because of the British accent or the fact that he played Commodore Norrington in the Pirates of the Caribbean series. And Tom, played by this guy named Christian Borle, is pretty sweet.
But what I really watch for are the musical numbers. They normally alternate between a song that is being used for the musical, and one that happens in 'real life'. Lately, there have been some really good ones. Particularly, Cheers (Drink to That) performed by Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty.
And from a more recent episode, Katharine McPhee's cover of "Run" by Snow Patrol.
And this amazing Bollywood number that appeared out of nowhere. I love how they used all the characters portraying the lyrics in the little vignettes.
Of course, all three of these are 'real life' songs...okay, so maybe "A Thousand and One Nights" is technically a dream/daydream sequence, but whatever...maybe next time, I'll cover some of the songs being used for the musical.
And I promise I'll have a real, this-is-what-I'm-doing post up soon. We've just been so busy lately - getting ready to put the house on the market, yard sale last weekend, another yard sale this weekend, cleaning the house, etc, etc that I haven't had the time to get anything posted. I've also completely lost my creativity, which means I haven't been able to write anything, blog or story, for a while, and I've currently got two video projects sitting half-finished in Sony Vegas, and a bunch of ideas for other ones I want to try to make. But, I've really got to finish the ones I have going first, and with my creativity out the window, I'm kinda stuck.
No comments:
Post a Comment