Again, a thousand apologies for not posting...I'm just lazy this summer, apparently. Okay, lazy this year. But really, there's not much going on anyway.
However, last night was very much an exception. Yesterday afternoon, Aaron texted me, and we started talking about getting together to hang out and visit. My dumb-brain thought I had another week and a half to get together with Aaron, but no, I somehow failed to process the information that he was going to be in Virginia next week, and that the only free days he had were yesterday, part of today, and maybe Saturday. So, fearing that Saturday was too much of a gamble with starting my house-sitting that day, and the fact that we would need to get the truck for it to have worked for today, I decided to ask about last night.
Haha, on a side note, I am quickly becoming all impromptu on people. In the past, I'd usually try and set up something up (with anybody, not just Aaron) two weeks ahead. Then, it became a week, and now, it's just like, "Hey, wanna go do something tonight/tomorrow/in two days?" My mom must be so annoyed with me, cuz I'm all, "Hey, guess what? I just made plans with somebody for tonight, so can you call Aunt Lynne and ask if she can pick you up from work tonight? Thanks." Yet another reason I love my mom - she puts up with my impromptu plans.
Anyway, so I basically asked my mom when she got home, then printed out a bunch of directions, and then got ready, took my mom to work, and then drove up to Clemmons to pick Aaron up from Lane's house, and we basically spent the entire drive to the mall squealing because "oh my gosh, you're here!" and discussing Utah and how beautiful it is.
When we got to the mall, we poked around in a bunch of stores - Aldo (I think), H&M, American Eagle, Forever 21, Aeropostale, Delia's, Bath & Body Works, and then made a quick pit-stop at one of the photo booths near Sears, and got ourselves a strip of amazing photos, and then went to Express. Aaron tried on a bunch of stuff at Express, and I got goaded into trying on a dress at Delia's, which was absolutely the cutest piece of clothing ever, and if it wasn't for the $44.50 price tag and not having any coupons, I would have gotten it right then and there.
We left the mall, and headed down the road to downtown Winston-Salem, which was something I'd never done before. Okay, I've been downtown before...what I mean to say is that I'd never driven downtown without an adult present, or without an adult driving. So, it was a totally new experience for me. We parked on Spruce Street, just off of 4th, and poked around in the little park/water-feature/sitting area, before heading up to 4th Street. They had a block of the road blocked off, for some sort of children's night - there were hula-hoops, and paper airplanes, and balls everywhere, and we walked around, and took some pictures of the city, and then walked back to Mellow Mushroom for dinner.
Aaron had a BLT hoagie, and I had a chicken & cheese hoagie, and we both had cokes, and we talked about how different the people are here in NC, and Aaron showed me his architecture drawings, which are like the coolest things ever. We ended up really chowing down on our food - there was a long while where we didn't talk at all, just took (in my case) very large bites of our food. And then, Aaron said, "I have to tell you something," and my mind simultaneously went in about four thousand places - admittedly, my first thought was "does he like me?", which is totally appropriate for a girl like me who's never had a boyfriend (Aaron, I'm sure you're laughing right now), and then my thoughts went to "this can't be good, he's got to be like deathly ill or something", and a bunch of other ways in the span of about two seconds.
And then, he said, "I'm gay," and admittedly, I sat there in shock for about three seconds, because for the longest time, Aaron, I'd pictured you as straight, and it took me a moment for it to sink in. But, I can't tell you how proud I am of you, and how honored I am to have you as a friend. And we talked for a long while about how this was going to change absolutely nothing between us, and Aaron pulled out this awesome rainbow ring, and slipped it on his finger, and I thought that was about the coolest thing I'd ever been a part of.
I paid for dinner (call it a coming-out present, if you like), and then we started heading toward the car, but ended up taking a beautiful walk around the city, down to the BB&T building, and got some wonderful shots of the city and of us. And then, we headed back to 4th Street, and Aaron treated me to frozen custard at Wolfie's (he had chocolate chocolate-chip, and I opted for banana, which was really yummy), and we walked down to the little blocked-off area, grabbed a bench, and did some people-watching while we ate, which was really wonderful.
We walked around 4th Street a bit more, stopping for a moment to listen to the live string band that was performing these little country-sounding pieces, which really added to the southern atmosphere. We stopped one more time at the little park/water fountain area to take a few more pictures, and then crossed the street and hopped in the car. Aaron directed me to I-40 (thanks, Aaron, for helping me), and I drove us back to Clemmons, where we said goodbye with a wonderful hug, and Aaron invited me to Lane's homework-burning/Aaron's in NC party on Friday, and I've already cleared it with my mom to go.
I drove home, and my mom and I watched Big Miracle, which was a really cute, really touching story. And then, we went to bed around midnight, and I spent like an hour on the computer, and then it took seemingly forever to fall asleep.
Thank you, Aaron, for such a wonderful night. I love you, darling. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment