Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

For most of my life, I never fully understood what Independence Day meant. Yes, I knew the basics: it’s the day the Declaration of Independence was signed, therefore giving the people of the United States of America the right to be free of English rule, and thus starting the American Revolution. But until this year, this all-important holiday didn’t mean all that much to me, as I never understood the circumstances under which this declaration was signed. This type of rebellion could have been considered treason, and each of the men in that building, the Pennsylvania State House, could have been arrested for it. But these men had the courage to sign it anyway, not only for themselves, their people and their new country, but for future generations as well.
I often wonder whether or not our Founding Fathers speculated about where their country would be in the next decade, century, etc. (if they even thought it would last that long), what kind of inventions would make daily life a little easier, what kinds of scenery would be present, and more importantly, what ideas and values would be supported by the people then?
I think about whether people like Ben Franklin or John Adams or Thomas Jefferson would be happy about the way we live our lives today – whether they would be smiling or frowning on us. I like to think of them having a “Mona Lisa” like expression, where you can’t exactly tell if it’s either one. They probably love the way we constantly try to make things better, faster, more efficient. But they may frown on the way we can be too lazy at some times, letting our inventions do the work for us, losing valuable skills along the way.
I think of the sheer coincidence that John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, the only signers of the Declaration of Independence to become Presidents of the United States, both died on July 4, 1826 – the 50th anniversary of the signing. This day is significant in so many ways, and I’m glad to see that it is important to so many others around this country.
So before you pick up your plate or go out to the parade or light sparklers tonight, think about the real meaning of Independence Day, not just the family, friends, food and fireworks, but the brave men in that chamber in Philadelphia, who have given us a country free of tyranny and full of hope. Give thanks to those men who had the courage to sign that document that ensures “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” for all. Happy Independence Day!

4 comments:

robyn in space said...

Wow. That's a really powerful entry; and I know what you mean when you think about what our founding fathers might think of us if they saw us today. . .reading stuff from back then, I've always assumed that they would find us primitive in our casual speech.

Alexis said...

Yeah I don't usually write really deep stuff, but I just felt like this holiday has become more and more about the fireworks and cookouts and less about the real history. I totally agree about the casual speech...

Lila said...

Hmmm...that's an interesting thought...but of course, being me I just HAVE to play the "Devil's Advocate" as Mrs. Allman would say...lol. So here's my counter-argument to the whole casual speech thing: I would argue that our casual sppech is more advanced as it saves more time than old-fashioned formalities. Benjamin Franklin in particular, as an inventor might actually find the introduction of such slang as "lol" or "ttyl" into the English language as an intriguing abd time saving invention.

sorry...just felt like being argumentative! still, i agree that as a whole, America has lost sight of the true meaning of many holidays. I'm one of those sentimental, tradition-loving people so it kinda bugged me that i only heard one mention of the signing of the declaration of independence while i heard about 5 mentions of Michael Jackson. hahahaha.

Alexis said...

Okay I see both points. Ugh, you and Mrs. Allman are one in the same! And btw, I'm on Facebook now!