Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Oh, How I Wish I Was Rich...

So, quick recap of today, then onto my main reason for being on here again...

Today, I got up, got ready, watered the plants and veggies outside, and then watched His Girl Friday, which was pretty good. Different, but good. And then, I came upstairs and had lunch, washed the dishes, and really just chilled for the afternoon. Mom came home with white chocolate frappelattes from Mrs. Pumpkins, and I pretty much chugged mine. Haha, just kidding. But, it did go down fast.

Anyway, and then we basically chilled for the afternoon. Mom and I were looking up The Hunger Games movie, and they've cast a couple of pretty neat people...Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci, Lenny Kravitz, and Woody Harrelson. So, we were very excited about that. And then we watched Halloweentown, and oh my gosh, I had no idea the grandmother was Debbie Reynolds...who I've seen in Singin' in the Rain and a couple of other films.

And this is where I'm able to segway into my main reasoning for this post...Debbie Reynolds is apparently an avid film memorabilia collector, and had dreams of building a museum for all of the items she's collected, but the attempts she's made have fallen through, so she's auctioning off her collection. I'd seen a couple of items when she and her daughter, Carrie Fisher (you know, Princess Leia in the Star Wars films?) were on Oprah. Today, I got online and downloaded the PDF catalog file of all the stuff up for auction, and I was totally giddy with film nostalgia and wished I had lots of money so I could buy some of these things.


Like Ruby Slippers (okay, so these aren't the actual ones...these were used for the first two weeks of filming The Wizard of Oz, then scrapped for the ones that are now in the Smithsonian). These are estimated to go for $120,000 to $150,000.

The blue dress, worn by Olivia de Havilland in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, is estimated at $4,000 to $6,000.

Sailor suits worn by Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra in Anchors Aweigh...$8,000 to $15,000.

Ginger Rogers wore this gold dress in her final film with Fred Astaire, The Barkleys of Broadway...estimated at $8,000 to $12,000.

Debbie Reynolds wore this blue dress herself in Singin' in the Rain, dancing alongside Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. $20,000 to $30,000.


Audrey Hepburn's "Ascot Races" dress from My Fair Lady is expected to fetch $200,000 to $300,000.


These costumes, worn by Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer in Romeo & Juliet, are estimated to go for $20,000 to $30,000 apiece.


I've always loved this dress. Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music...this will set you back $6,000 to $8,000.

And finally, this dress worn by Marilyn Monroe in The Seven Year Itch. I've never seen this movie, but I've seen the scene itself. You know, the one where the winds from the subway below lift the skirt of the dress?


This is supposed to be the big seller of the whole auction...estimated to pull in $1,000,000 to $2,000,000. Yes, that's millions.

So, right now I have this glorious dream of owning a piece of history...except I have no money. Oh, well, such is life.

No comments: