Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Just Survived An Earthquake...

Okay, first of all, I would like to inform you that I just survived a mini-earthquake. Our whole house started shaking. At first, I thought it was just me, and then I looked around my room and my chandelier was shaking and the mirror on my dresser was rocking a bit, and oh my gosh, that was so scary.

Anyway, while I calm down, I'd like to post a small recap. So, I started my job at Catered Affairs on Monday. I got there, as instructed, at noon, and made my way up to the fourth floor of Deacon Tower, where I located my aunt and she showed me how to clock in, and then we started working. We started off by putting the tablecloths on the tables, and setting the flower centerpieces on them. And then, we set out cups on the drink table. Then, we went back to the kitchens to get some jugs of sweet tea and lemonade, and then made our way down to the first floor to get some more lemonade and the decorative greenery. And we started filling cups and setting out the greenery, and setting out the food (it was a fairly simple spread...three drink choices...water, lemonade, sweet tea...and three types of food...veggies & ranch dip, peanuts, and cookies).

And before I knew it, people were coming in, and milling about. Basically, it's just making sure the food is replenished, and keeping the drinks flowing. Not rocket science. And then, we cleared the tables, and started dumping the leftover drinks, and wiping off the tablecloths and that sort of stuff. And then, we all said goodbye, and I clocked out, and left for the day. I actually really enjoyed the whole experience...not as terrible as I had thought.

And then, I came home, and basically had my dinner at 4:00, because I was starving after working for three and a half hours on an English muffin with Nutella and a glass of milk (aka my breakfast). And really, I just chilled for the evening...let Ella out, watched some tv. Dad came home at around 10:45...he's been working ten-to-twelve-hour days since Saturday. He's over at Bridger Field House serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the players. And then, I said goodnight, and ended up in my room watching Dark Harbor on YouTube, which was...interesting.

Today has been good so far. I got up, watched part of The Tender Trap, then Mom texted me about meeting her at La Carreta for lunch, so I woke Quinn and got him moving. Rebecca left a voicemail on my phone, so I called her back, and she gave me the approx. finishing time for my Wednesday shift, and then asked if I could work a couple more shifts this week.

So, now I'm working tonight (I have to report in at 4:30 on the fourth floor...she said it's a large party, and they're using the whole fourth floor, as opposed to half, which is what I was working yesterday afternoon). I am still working Wednesday morning (reporting in at 8:30am), but now, I am also working the evening shift (4:00pm). And in addition to my Thursday morning shift (10:00am), I am also scheduled to be back at 4:30pm for another evening shift. I have a feeling the evening shifts are going to be quite a bit longer than the morning shifts, so I'm on track to rack up twenty or so hours this week.

And through all this working, I am going to have to start thinking about Louisville. We're leaving on Friday morning, which is going to come up so fast. I have this funny feeling that I am going to be packing all of Thursday night after I get home from work, and then sleeping in the car Friday.

Anyway, back to today. So, Quinn and I went home while Mom went back to work, and I watched the rest of The Tender Trap, which was good, and then I went into my room to chill for a while, and that's when the earthquake happened. And now, I'm back to the beginning, so i think I shall log off, and relax for a few minutes before I have to start straightening my hair and getting ready for work.

No comments: