Thursday, June 3, 2010

Heaven, I'm In Heaven...

Ah, well, these past few days have been nothing short of wonderful, to say the least.

Monday evening was spent in the usual fashion, watching tv with my family, and then playing with Ella. The staining that we had wanted to get done that day had to be put off because of the rain, and I was very disappointed at that. But alas...such is life.

I think this Tuesday was my best day ever. Quinn has been staying up all night, so he pretty much sleeps until the afternoon, which means on the days that my mom works, I basically have the house to myself. And it's wonderful. So, anyway, as Tuesdays and Thursdays are my movies days, I got up and made my way downstairs. I didn't have a lot recorded from the past few days, but I had a couple of movies which I had recorded months ago, and just hadn't had the time to watch. [I'm going to warn you right here...you guys know how much I love movies, so the next few paragraphs are probably going to be recaps and reactions. So, feel free to skip ahead.]

First up was A Free Soul from 1931, which was a neat little film. Clark Gable and Norma Shearer star in it, with Lionel Barrymore and Leslie Howard rounding out the cast list. Cute little movie about a lawyer's daughter falling in love with his gangster client, much to the dismay of her fiance.

Next was the 1935 classic Top Hat, starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. This was the fourth Astaire/Rogers film I've seen (out of a total of ten), and I have to say, I think this one is my favorite so far. The comedic timing was perfect, the costumes were gorgeous (especially Ginger's ostrich feather dress from the "Cheek to Cheek" sequence), the plot was as cute as can be, and the dancing...oh, the dancing was extremely pretty.

After that was Smilin' Through, made in 1932, and again starring Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard, this time with Fredric March in the mix. Howard plays a older man still grieving over the shooting of his wife on their wedding day decades earlier. Shearer is his niece, and trouble ensues when she falls in love with March, who happens to be the son of the man who killed Howard's wife. Sweet little story about forgiveness and moving on, with pretty scenery, and the ever-cool transparent spirit/ghost technique.

Last was Secrets, a 1933 film with Mary Pickford (in her final film role) and Leslie Howard (I think he's my favorite actor as of now). It covers the lives of a couple from their courtship in [antebellum...like maybe 1840's or 50's?] New England (where she's a high-society girl, and he's in a lower class than her) and their elopement, to their move out west and the troubles they face there, and then to his political career, and it's after-effects.

It was quite cute, with one especially cute scene occurring as Howard helps Pickford change into a more suitable outfit for traveling, seeing as they're eloping. Attempting to undress without a maid, who might squeal on them, Howard makes a hilarious go at unhooking and pulling off layer after layer of Pickford's enormous hoop skirt. Then, when Pickford is finally down to her pantalettes, chemise and corset, and you think they're all clear to put on the traveling dress, Pickford's father knocks on the door, and Pickford tries to hide Howard under the mass of skirt fabric now lying discarded on the floor. Which of course, works, and her father leaves the room without even noticing the feet of Howard sticking out from under the pile.

Okay, I know everyone's probably like "How long is she going to go on writing?" by now, so the last paragraph or two will be a quick recap of Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday. So, that evening, we watched Wipeout, which is probably the most hilarious show I've ever seen. Because people flying off the "big balls" into the water is just awesome...haha.

On Wednesday, Mom and I finished staining the deck, after which I felt extremely accomplished. Then, we ran some errands, including another stop at LA Reynolds, before picking up McDonald's and going over to my grandmother's for dinner. We waited out the bad part of the storm at her house, then went home, and I worked on a couple of things that needed to be done around the house.

So, that's it. Hope I didn't bore anyone to death...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom LOVES wipe out! I think it is rather ridiculous, but it makes her laugh non stop. After every show, my family ponders on what poor, lonely people must sign up to do these shows? :D

Alexis said...

I know!!! They find some really...well...interesting people. Although I have to admit, I'd like to try the courses, just not on national tv. Lol.