Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oh, Wouldn't It Be Lovely...

Anyway, I'm just on here because I'm bored, so we'll see what, if any, good comes out of this...

So, Tuesday, Dad and I went to the Wake/Virginia Tech game, and Wake lost as usual. It was fun, though, just to get out of the house and spend some time with Dad. And the Nationwide "Quote the Deacs" question was "What is an advantage of being tall?", and all the players were like, "Being able to see over everyone," or "Getting noticed for my height," and stuff like that, and then, I think it was CJ Harris, says, "I wouldn't know. I'm the shortest guy on the team." And we all busted out laughing. So, that was cool.

Anyway, yesterday I chilled for the day, and then my grandmother came over for dinner, and we watched Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. And my dad pulled out a couple of his old photo albums from his college and post-college days, and we got to see some of the places he'd been to, and some of the things he'd done, which was pretty cool. And then, we took my grandmother home, and we came home and watched Criminal Minds, and then I let Ella out, and that was pretty much it.

Today has been much of the same. Right now, I'm just chilling, waiting for Mom to get home. Kinda boring, but whatever.

So, onto my movies...I'm watching a lot of Best Picture winners right now. My Fair Lady, Gigi, All The King's Men, and I have a couple more on the DVR still to watch. Oh, this was pretty funny...I watched My Fair Lady on Tuesday, and then last night, we were listening to NPR on the way to my grandmother's house, and they have this piano puzzler on Wednesday nights where they rewrite a popular tune in the style of a certain composer and the person they've picked to call in tries to guess the tune and the composer. And wouldn't you know, the tune was "Wouldn't It Be Lovely" from My Fair Lady...so I totally got that part right!

Oh, other news...I finished Steps In Time, Fred Astaire's autobiography, last night. Pretty fun to read. There were some really funny little stories written in, like how his sister called him "Moaning Minnie", or this one...

"In Detroit I had a horrible scare - for an actor - when I went to my hotel for a little nap late one afternoon, after a matinee performance, and never thought about leaving a call. I awoke suddenly and saw that the time was 8:15pm. Here I was on the eighteenth floor of the hotel, about six blocks from the theatre, and due on stage in full make-up in eight minutes! I cannot describe the panic I was in...

"I grabbed my hat and coat and ran for the elevator. It was nowhere near the eighteenth floor. I spotted some fire escape stairs and ran down four flights about five or six steps at a time and managed to catch an elevator standing there. I reached in my pocket, grabbed a bill, handed it to the elevator boy and said, "Mac, get me downstairs - fast - don't stop even if Mr. Statler rings." He got me there...

"I now had five blocks through heavy theatre-time traffic, no taxis available, so I ran zigzag like a crazy man. Reached the stage door of the theatre, crashed through the reception hall just as the first chorus number was finishing. I had to rush right on stage as I was without changing clothes or putting on make-up. I was completely out of breath. Everyone wondered what on earth was the matter with me."

So, anyway, I thought that was kinda funny. But whatever...okay, back to blogging. Not much on the agenda for the next few days. I might head out to the mall and Target tomorrow after Mom gets home from her half-day at work, but it depends. And then, on Sunday, we're going to my aunt & uncle's to celebrate my grandmother's 91st birthday. And I think that's all I got for now...

No comments: