Friday, February 11, 2011

Riding (Well, Driving) Along In My Automobile...

Well, I think a recap is in order...

So, yesterday, we had to take Mom's car in to Shattalon Tire, because the anti-lock brake light was on. Mom and I drove to my aunt's to borrow her truck, and I drove solo to Shattalon Tire with Mom following behind me in the truck. And then she drove us home. So, that was the first time I drove by myself with my license...a bit nerve-wracking because of the traffic, but it was all good.

Then, we came home, had dinner, and Mom left for a wine-tasting with one of her co-workers. Dad, Quinn, and I chilled at home, and watched tv and such, and then Mom came home, and we pretty much went to bed.

Today, though, was much more interesting. I woke up late, since I had finished up my homework for the week on Thursday, and got ready. I ended up messing around on the computer until Mom came home at noon, and we had lunch. And then she drove us to Shattalon Tire in the truck, and we picked up the car. Turns out, we had some lightbulb out on the back 'dashboard', and that on the same circuit as the ABS light. So, there wasn't really a problem at all.

So, I took the car, and she followed up to the BP gas station on Reynolda, and we put some gas in the car. And then, I took off for the bookstore...alone. Up Reynolda, to Silas Creek, to Stratford, to Hanes Mall Boulevard (I think), and into Barnes & Noble. I needed to get The Time Machine for school, and I ended up picking up the other book I'll need in a week or two, Animal Farm, just to save me a trip out there. And I ended up spending almost an hour looking around. And I found way too many books I wanted to buy. So, I wrote about three of them down so I'd remember to purchase them another time, and settled on a book called Sarah's Key, which is about a Jewish girl taken from her home in 1942 Paris, and Steps in Time, Fred Astaire's autobiography.

I checked out (Mom had given me money to spend) and headed out to the car. I made sure to text Mom that I was leaving (that's our agreement...I text her when I get to my destination, and when I leave for home.). And she texted me back to stop and pick up a box of frozen corn from the grocery store on my way home.

So, I got back onto the road, and headed back, making sure to avoid the road work on Reynolda by Harris Teeter, and picked up the item at the grocery store as promised, and came home. Well, as I was coming up the hill, about to turn left onto our street, our neighbor and her daughter (obviously coming home from school) made the right onto our street. April (the mother) waved as she turned, and as I made the turn myself, Meredith (the daughter) turned around in the back seat, did a double take, and then waved like crazy. I waved back, and after we had both pulled in to our respective driveways, I got out of the car as Meredith was coming down her driveway to get their mail. And she said, "Good job," and I thanked her, and went inside. So, now, I'm afraid, there's going to be some chattering amongst the neighbors about, "Oh, did you hear Alexis is driving now?"...lol. Which is kinda cool...

Anyway, I went inside, and Mom proceeded to give me a gigantic hug, and tell me that she was super-worried about me while I was gone. And then, we pretty much headed over to my aunt's to return the truck, and then we played Bananagrams with Quinn, and then, a little later, went to Petsmart to pick up some food for Ella, and we stopped at Gamestop to check about a video game Quinn wants, but we didn't find it...so we'll keep looking. And then we came home and made dinner while Quinn and Dad went to get haircuts, and then we had dinner and watched tv, and now I'm downstairs letting Ella run around while I half-watch Forrest Gump on TCM.

Tomorrow, we're running more errands, and I think we're having cheeseburgers on the grill for dinner, since it's supposed to be quite nice outside. Sidenote: Driving feels extremely natural to me, even driving solo...it's kinda freeing, and I like it. :)

No comments: